1. Sit on the end of a bench with only half of your thighs supported.
2. Place your feet and knees together, bend forwards from the waist and hold a pair of PowerBlocks (or Dumbbells) underneath your thighs with your palms facing each other.
1. Draw the PowerBlocks (or Dumbbells) out to the sides, simultaneously turning your hands so that they face the floor.
2. Raise them until your elbows and hands are level with your shoulders. Hold momentarily.
3. Slowly return to the starting position, resisting the weight on the way down.
• Your little finger should be higher than your thumb at the top of the movement, as if you are pouring water from a jug.
• Keep your torso still - do not raise your body as you raise the PowerBlocks (or Dumbbells).
• Lead with your elbows rather than your hands.
• Keep your elbows bent at about 10° throughout to avoid straining them.
Standing bent-over lateral raise: The movement can be executed from a standing position. Stand with your feet hipwidth apart, bend forwards from the waist and hold the PowerBlocks (or Dumbbells) directly below the shoulders (arms straight). Perform the movement as described above. As your back is in an unsupported position do not use a heavy weight or attempt this if you have a weak lower back as it may place undue stress on it.