Elbow Extension Overhead
Muscles worked: This exercise emphasizes the triceps muscles located on the back of the upper arms.
• Sit on the bench with your legs straddling each side. Bend the knees and place your feet flat on the floor.
• Reach behind and grasp the PowerBlocks (or Dumbbells), palms facing each other (or angled upward).
• Draw your arms up until your elbows are comfortably overhead (different for everyone) and your hands are pointed to the ceiling.
• Tighten your trunk muscles and maintain a very slight arch in your lower back.
• Keeping your upper arm stationary, bend your elbows allowing your hands to move downward in an arcing motion.
• Stop your motion at approximately 90 degrees (or as comfort allows) and then slowly reverse your arcing motion upward and forward until your elbows are straight.
• Keep your upper arm motionless.
• Keep wrists straight.
• Tighten the triceps throughout the exercise and control the motion on the way down.
• Keep your chest lifted, abs tight and maintain a very slight arch in your lower back.