Pulley position: Wide or narrow
• While seated in the 45 degree position, bring the left handle to the left shoulder, and then reaching across the chest, grasp and hold with the right hand as pictured.
• Alternative Handle Position: Spread the left cuff from the handle and put the left arm through, positioning the cuff around the front of the shoulder (a one-sided version of the handle position described in the Seated Resisted Abdominal Crunch).
• Your lower back can start out flat or in a normal arch, knees and hips are bent and your feet are flat on the floor.
• Tighten your abs and move in a diagonal direction, slowly moving your right ribs toward your left hip. Move as far as you can without moving the hips or neck. THE LOWER BACK SHOULD NOT LOSE CONTACT WITH THE BENCH when fully crunched.
• Slowly reverse the motion returning to the starting position, without relaxing.
• After you’ve completed sufficient reps of this exercise, repeat it on the other side of your body.
• Allow exhalation up and inhalation down, don’t exaggerate it.
• Do not lift your head/chin. Your head should follow the rib motion, not lead, allowing you to maintain normal neck posture.
• Tighten your abdominals throughout the entire exercise range of motion. Do not let your abs relax until the set is over.
• MOVING SLOWLY to eliminate momentum is critical.
• This exercise will NOT spot-reduce fat!