1. Sit on an upright bench, angled at 75-90° so that your lower back is firmly in contact with the bench.
2. Hold an evenly weighted barbell, hands facing forwards, level with your shoulders.
1. Press the barbell upwards until your elbows are nearly straightened. Straighten your arms but do not lock out your elbows. Hold momentarily.
2. Lower the barbell slowly back to the starting position.
• Keep your torso upright. Don't lean backwards or arch your spine as you press the bar upwards as this will strain your lower back.
• Hold your abdominal muscles taut to help stabilize your spine or, if you are using a very heavy weight, wear a weightlifting belt.
• Lower the barbell until it touches your shoulders. Don't shorten the movement.