1. Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
2. Hold a pair of dumbbells by your sides level with your thighs, palms facing backwards. Keep your arms straight.
1. Raise your shoulders straight up towards your ears, keeping your arms straight.
2. Hold for a count of two; then lower the , dumbbells back to the starting position.
• Keep your arms straight throughout the movement.
• Lift and lower the dumbbells slowly and deliberately - don't jerk them.
• As you lower the dumbbells, allow your shoulders to drop down as far as possible this stretches the trapezius and increases the range of motion.
• Do not rotate your shoulders backwards at the top of the movement - this increases the risk of injury to the shoulder and places no further work on the trapezius.
• Use straps to improve your grip.
Barbell shrug: Shrugs may be performed with a barbell instead of dumbbells. Hold a barbell in front of or behind your thighs, keep your arms straight and move the bar up and down as described above.