1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
2. Hold the barbell with your hands about 15 cm apart, palms facing towards your body. The bar should rest against the front of your thighs.
1. Pull the bar directly upwards towards your chin, bending your elbows out to the sides until the bar is level with your neck.
2. Hold for a count of two; then slowly lower the bar back to the starting position.
• Keep the bar very close to your body throughout the movement.
• Make sure you do not sway backwards as you lift the bar.
• At the top of the movement your elbows should be level with, or slightly higher than, your hands.
• Lower the bar slowly, resisting the weight.
Wide grip: Using a shoulder width grip, places more emphasis on the deltoids and less on the trapezius.